Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the traditional breakfast on Christmas morning in all of the various Anderson households. I believe my Uncle Sterling von Franck created it. Adjust the proportions to your crowd. We like more cranberry in our house and we also use vegetarian sausage.
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box Jiffy corn muffin mix (or your favorite corn bread recipe)
- 1 egg
- 2 (8 ounce) packages link sausage
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole berry cranberry sauce
- Cook sausages according to package directions and cover the bottom of an 8x8" glass baking dish with the cooked sausage.
- Empty the cranberry sauce into a bowl and break up until spreadable and cover the sausage with the cranberry sauce.
- Mix the corn bread according to the directions and pour over the sausage and cranberries.
- Bake at an over temperature 25 degrees LOWER than the corn bread directions and bake for approximately 10 minutes longer than the directions, or until completely cooked through.
- It will be a little wet where it meets the cranberry sauce, but the rest of the corn bread should be done. Don't worry if it cracks slightly on the top.
- Serve plain or with warm maple syrup.
I changed a lot of stuff, used ham rather than sausage, substituted pumpkin puree for 1 can of cranberry. it was gross. since I changed so much, I"m not rating it. It might be good if I had actually followed the recipe. did I mention it was GROSS with my changes? oh, and in addition to the ham, I took some tofu, fried it with normal sausage spices in an effort to make fake sausage. yeah, it was horrible. not your fault though. all mine!!