Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I like to make this on Christmas morning or any morning! Prep time does not include chilling overnight.
- 7 slices white bread (crusts removed and cubed)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk, no substitutes
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In greased 11-inch by 7-inch by 2-inch baking dish, combine the bread cubes and cheese.
- In large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and cheese.
- Top with bacon.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
My family really like this recipe. I do not use whole milk in our home we use 1% and although the recipe says no substitutes I did it anyway. I did reduce the milk by 1/2 cup due to whole milk being a big more heavy then mine so it would not be runny. I also used whole wheat bread and it turned out great.
Great "breakfast for dinner" casserole! Made for 4 servings and sprinkled a little extra cheese on top after it came out of the oven. Was nice and light and not over cooked. I made this in a 9-in pie plate and it turned out perfect. Made for I Recommend Holiday Tag.
Did make a couple of changes, but not big ones, I thought ~ I used a nutty, whole grain bread rather than a white bread, & did not cut the crusts off as we like 'em! Also used Hormel's Real Bacon Pieces instead of the regular bacon! AND, the resulting casserole was absolutely delicious! Had a couple of friends for breakfast when this was on the table, & there wasn't much left when we finished! Thanks for posting this great keeper of a recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]