Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is another "baked in a can" recipe. These can be given in-can as a gift! When they're baked you take them out to cool then place them back in the can you have covered with Christmas wrapping paper or in Christmas plastic wrap, tie with a pretty bow, and give a really cute gift!
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes dry yeast
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup light raisins
- 1⁄3 cup chopped candied cherry
- Sprinkle the yeast over warm water in a large mixing bowl; stir until dissolved.
- Add 3 cups of flour, butter, peanut butter, sugar, 4 eggs and 1 egg yolk. Blend together on low speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining flour and fruit; beat with a wooden spoon. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth.
- Place in a lightly greased bowl and turn to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 2 hours.
- Punch down; knead until smooth. Divide into thirds. Place into 3 greased and floured 1-pound coffee cans. Let rise until double in bulk, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Brush with reserved egg white; sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes longer or until bread tests done. Remove the bread from the can and cool.
- Wipe the cans and prepare with Christmas paper if desired or place the loaves in festive plastic wrap and tie with a Christmas ribbon.
this bread is very dry. Cook time is to long. Bread got very dark and no flavor.