Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of my favorite banana breads. I love bananas, but the ones available in the US are not as tasty as the Brazilians, so banana bread is my way of enjoying this fruit. I am not criticizing, it is just that bananas grow all over Brazil, from North to South, so it is just obvious we have better ones there! ;-)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups ripe bananas, mashed (about 3 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry, cut in half (or dried apricots, cranberries, pineapple, etc.)
- Cream butter and sugar in large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually addo to creamed butter.
- MIx in bananas; fold in walnuts, chocolate and cherries.
- Pour into greased 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan. Bake at 350 F for 60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.
Lovely cake, perfect thing for school lunches as it is firm not crumbly . I omitted the choc chips and doubled the dried apricots and it is great and also pretty. Made for Pool Party Tag.