Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I came up with this recipe when I was craving a philly cheesesteak and I had to eat gluten free. I think the Banana Peppers and juice really sets this dish off so please try not to leave them out. In a pinch they can be left out but the dish is better with them. My family loves this recipe and thinks it taste great.
- 1⁄2 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons garlic cloves
- 5 Steak-ums, beef sandwich thinly sliced steaks
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons banana pepper rings
- 3 tablespoons banana pepper juice
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 slices provolone cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Saute peppers and onions in butter until tender on medium heat.
- Add garlic cloves and saute until lightly golden.
- Break steakumms into bite size pieces and fry with pepper and onion mix.
- Add pepper and salt then mix.
- Add the banana peppers and juice saute until mostly all the juice is absorbed.
- Add pre cooked rice and cook a few minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Turn off the heat top with provolone cheese and stir until melted.
Made this dish exactly as written. Was very NASTY tasting. I normally don't leave reviews, but this was THAT bad. My husband agreed. If I could rate ZERO STARS, I would have.
We ate this as a sandwich instead of on rice, but it was delicious! I will try the leftovers on rice for lunch this week and anticipate it being equally tasty. Made exactly by recipe with no changes. DH loved it and wants to have frequently.
I really enjoyed this, DH thought it was just OK. My 3yo ate it, so that is a good sign, lol. I omitted the butter and used a light splash of olive oil instead because I know that Steak Umms are pretty greasy. Will make this again for sure, it was nice and easy!