Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a favorite of everyone who tastes it. I get rave reviews anytime I take it to a potluck. The only difference is I use this sort cooking time version. I normally cook my sauce 3-4 hours very low.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 quart crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup dry parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup parsley flakes
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) box lasagna noodles, cooked according to package
- In a 10 inch skillet, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil. Add ground round, ground pork and sage and brown. Drain and set aside.
- Cook noodles al-dent'e. Lay cooked noodles on waxed paper until ready to assemble. (I like to use ribbed noodles.).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend tomatoes in a blender for 10 to 20 seconds. Add tomato paste and 1-C. water and blend for 30 seconds. Combine basil, oregano, thyme, crushed red pepper and salt to the sauce mixture and pour into a 5 quart Dutch oven. Bring to a low boil on low heat, then simmer for 90 minutes. (I cook my sauce slow for 3-4 hours) Reserve 1 1/2 cups of sauce and set aside. Add meat mixture and simmer for an additional 30 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine cheeses, parsley and eggs with 2/3°C of milk in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Coat the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish with 1/2°C of reserved sauce. Layer lasagna noodles, meat sauce, and cheese mixture, ending with the lasagna noodles. Top with remaining reserved sauce. Bake covered for 35 to 45 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.