Recipe by Demelza
I was watching Steven & Chris on CBC today and Christina Marsigliese (www.christinamarsigliese.com) was on the show making these brownies. They look absolutely delicious, chewy, fudgy, and best of all for a gluten free recipe they use ingredients anyone would have in their pantry. I learned something new about chocolate while watching this episode as well. This recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate (70% cocoa solids), you can sub semisweet (54% cocoa solids), but should not go to an unsweetened chocolate. The chemistry of the recipe is dependant on the amount of cocoa butter in the chocolate, if you sub a chocolate with a much higher percentage of cocoa solids your recipe may not turn out. Make sure not to overbake these brownies. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the brownies should come out with some moist crumbs stuck to it. I have not made these yet, but do intend to try them myself. Source: http://www.christinamarsigliese.com
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (70% cocoa solids)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Line an 8" square pan with parchment, leave a 2" overhang at each end, butter sides of pan.
- Melt chocolate & butter in a double boiler, or microwave.
- Stir in sugar & salt.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Sift cornstarch, cocoa & baking powder together.
- Stir vanilla & eggs, 1 at a time, into cooled chocolate mixture, until well combined.
- Stir dry ingredients into chocolate mixture, till smooth.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 325 for abut 25 minutes. Brownies shoudl be slightly puffed, shiny & cracked.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Chill in fridge at least 1 hour before cutting.
- Dust with icing/powdered sugar to serve.