Christie's restaurant was a beloved eatery in San Antonio for over 50 years before closing in the 90's. From the San Antonio Express News. Please read the recipe several times before attempting as the article said this was a demanding recipe and take care to add the oil one tablespoon at a time. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons dry pectin (Sure Jel)
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel (Spice Islands works well)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon meringue powder (Wilton brand is available at stores that sell cake-decorating items)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups soya oil (use regular salad oil if you can't find soybean)
- 1Using food processor blender, finely chop celery, green pepper, carrot and onion until almost grated; set aside.
- 2Combine salt, mustard, Sure Jel, lemon peel, cornstarch, meringue powder and paprika in small mixing bowl; set aside.
- 3Place ice in large mixer bowl; add dry spice mixture along with eggs, mixing at high speed.
- 4When thoroughly mixed and ice has melted, slowly add soybean oil 1 tablespoon at a time while mixing at high speed.
- 5Mix until thick (this will take about 40 minutes).
- 6Add chopped vegetables and mix about 1-2 minutes until blended.
- 7Chill in covered container several hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christie's House Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (930 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 959.3
- Calories from Fat 923
- Total Fat 102.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 188.0 mg
- Sodium 852.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: