Recipe by marianne#4
a special occasion biscuit, very light This is a Maltese biscuit--quite easy to make though a bit fiddly. Traditionally, you ice a swirl in pink or blue (for girl or boy). I have also used this recipe for biscuits to take to a wedding, and iced the bride and grooms initial.
- 800 g plain flour
- 400 g brown sugar
- 400 g white sugar
- 8 eggs, separated
- 2 ounces candied lemon peel (I have tried fresh grind)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg white till stiff.
- Add sugar to make a meringue.
- Stir in egg yolks.
- Gently stir in all other ingredients except flour.
- Fold in flour.
- Shape into circles or ovals about the size of the palm of your hand, by gently shaping the mix in your hand.
- Bake in a hot over for 7-10 minutes, till cooked but not brown.
- Allow to cool and ice swirl in appropriate colour.