Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this on the net. It's a great Polish side dish. It could very well convert die-hard kraut haters!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving drippings, crumble then set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat sauerkraut with a little water over medium heat. Stir in crumbled bacon, sugar and 3-4 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Cook for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Made for Zaar Challenge: Name Game. This was absolutely awesome. The only way I've ever had sauerkraut was with spareribs and mashed potatoes. I honestly didn't think I would like sauerkraut with sugar in it, but I did. The combination of bacon and sugar along with the sauerkraut works very well. I'll definitely be making this again. Thanks Fluffster!