Recipe by Boyz 5
Saw this recipe in the local Sunday paper and I just had to share it with you. It sounds sooo good! Perfect for that special occasion. NOTE: Total cooking time includes time needed to caramelize apple mixture.
Top Review by Elisabetta47
Lovely cake but the directions need improving. The sugar needs to be dissolved in the pan (why the need for a no-stick one?) then poured over the apples before sprinkling on the pecans. After it has baked, it should be cooled for 10 minutes then turned upside-down onto a serving platter. It's very pretty and rich. I used half apples, half firm pears in a round cake pan sprayed with Baker's Joy. Thanks for a very satisfying autumn dessert.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 apples
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel,core and quarter apples and chop pecans.
- In a non-stick pan melt butter and stir in the sugar.
- Arrange the apples nice side down in an 8-inch square greased cake pan and sprinkle the pecans over top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until sugar is golden brown and apples are fork tender.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Cream the butter with the sugar until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, minced ginger and eggs and combine with the butter mixture.
- Add the plain yogurt and mix well.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Pour the mixed batter over the apples and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the cake is golden brown.
- Serve with ice-cream.