Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Saw this recipe in the local Sunday paper and I just had to share it with you. It sounds sooo good! Perfect for that special occasion. NOTE: Total cooking time includes time needed to caramelize apple mixture.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 apples
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel,core and quarter apples and chop pecans.
- In a non-stick pan melt butter and stir in the sugar.
- Arrange the apples nice side down in an 8-inch square greased cake pan and sprinkle the pecans over top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until sugar is golden brown and apples are fork tender.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Cream the butter with the sugar until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, minced ginger and eggs and combine with the butter mixture.
- Add the plain yogurt and mix well.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Pour the mixed batter over the apples and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the cake is golden brown.
- Serve with ice-cream.
Lovely cake but the directions need improving. The sugar needs to be dissolved in the pan (why the need for a no-stick one?) then poured over the apples before sprinkling on the pecans. After it has baked, it should be cooled for 10 minutes then turned upside-down onto a serving platter. It's very pretty and rich. I used half apples, half firm pears in a round cake pan sprayed with Baker's Joy. Thanks for a very satisfying autumn dessert.