1/2 Photos of Chris' New Black Bean & Rice Burgers
Tasty and extremly healthy bean burgers that combine the rich flavor of kidney beans with the meaty texture of black beans. Brown rice in the recipe is not only a healthy addition, but makes these firm and hearty patties. A PERFECT meat substitute- you wont notice the difference!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a food processor, blend black beans and kidney beans to a fine mash. It is alright if some bean chunks still remain solid.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, add to bean mash any desired spices. I strongly reccomend liberal amounts of chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder. You might also add an adobo seasoning.
- 3Should you desire, you might add any kind of chopped or shredded vegetables at this point. From experience, I find salsa is a nice addition.
- 4Mix in 1.5 cups of cooked brown rice into bean mash and stir till even consistancy. Gradually fold in entire package bread crumbs- bean mash will visibly thicken, it is advisable to use your hands at this point.
- 5Grab small palmfulls of bean mix and flatten into burger sized patties. I generally find I make about 28 patties in one go- this is variable as yours may be smaller or larger.
- 6I freeze patties for weeks (months) at a time in an air-tight container or freezer bag.
- 7To cook- either bake in a toaster oven until exterior is crusty and crispy, or pan fry with a small amount of oil or cooking spray. These are very firm burgers and will hold up extremly well- better than any other bean burger ive seen!
- 8Dress your burgers with any number or great things- BBQ suace is a particular favorite.
- 9Also try crumbling cooked burgers and using the 'meat' as taco filling- tastes delicious especially with taco sauce.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chris' New Black Bean & Rice Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 28
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.7
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 112.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 7.1 g