Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Hot and Fluffy homemade yeast rolls
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 6 teaspoons butter, sliced
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water (About 105 Degrees)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons your favorite honey
- Turn on the light in your oven before starting. This will allow the oven to heat up slightly and makes a nice proofing cabinet.
- Place the yeast and 1 TBS sugar into the hot water and mix well, set aside and let bloom until very frothy, this takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Place the flour, 4 TBS sugar, butter, salt, and egg into a large mixing bowl (preferably a mixer with a dough hook). Add the yeast mixture and start the dough hook on a low speed. Let the mixer incorporate all the yeast mixture, it will be too dry at this point. You will need to add more warm water to the dough as it mixes, but just a tsp at a time. The dough will come together and pull away from the sides of the bowl all at once, and if you add too much water, you will get a sticky mess. If you do add too much water, just add some more bread flour, a little at a time until you get a spongy dough ball that doesn’t stick to your fingers.
- Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until it becomes soft and elastic. Adding only enough flour to keep it from getting sticky.
- Shape the dough into a ball with the smooth part to the top. Place into an oiled bowl and turn over to coat all the sides of the dough. Place the bowl into the oven and let it rise until doubled in size. This will take about an hour or so.
- Remove the dough from the oven and punch it down and remove it from the bowl to a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into strips and then into pieces that weigh 2 ounces each. Shape each 2 ounce piece into a ball making sure to seal the cut edges into the dough so it will rise properly.
- Place the rolls into an oiled 12 x 16 pan and place back into the oven to rise again. Once they have doubled in size again, turn the oven on to 420 degrees. Bake the rolls until golden brown.
- Mix your melted butter and honey in a small bowl and then brush over the hot rolls as soon as you remove them from the oven.
These were very flavorful, soft, and delicious! Very easy to make. My husband keeps asking me to make sure we have these all the time. Thanks for a great recipe.