Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are gluten and dairy free and also very low in sugar. The flour used can be whole bean, brown rice or other gluten free flour.If you're just sensitive to wheat but not allergic you can try spelt flour. Stevia is an herb that is 200 times sweeter than sugar and can be purchased in a health food store.
- 2 1⁄2 cups oat bran
- 1 cup flour (see above)
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice milk (or goat milk, or combo)
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 -5 drops stevia (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup grapeseed oil (or combination) or 1⁄2 cup macadamia nut oil (or combination) or 1⁄2 cup canola oil (or combination)
- 2 -3 eggs, depending on size
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups raisins (or 1 1/2 cups raisins and 1/2 cup of cranberries or blueberries)
- 1 apple, diced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line two 12 cup muffin pans with liners or coat with cooking spray. In a large bowl combine bran, flour, flax seed, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except raisins, cranberries, apple etc and blend well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Stir in raisins etc.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick in centre comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Muffins can be frozen.