Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
I took the best elements of all of the bean burgers recipes ive seen and made these great tasting and healthy burgers for myself the other night. I was greatly impressed by how they turned out and I hope you are too. This recipe is intended to make enough burgers to be frozen for later eating- experiment with the measurements to make a more individual sized recipe.
- Drain most or all of the can liquid from beans in a strainer and add kidney beans and black beans together in a blender. Mash on a high setting, pulsing to keep the mixture moving and circulating toward the blade. Let the bean mixture blend until there are only small amounts of whole or chopped beans in a mostly mashed medium.
- Pour bean mixture into a large mixing bowl and beat in 2 large eggs. Add to this any spices, vegetables, or seasonings preferred. Garlic powder, salt, pepper, fresh lime juice, and a generous amount of chili powder are all very recommended. Corn could also be added at this point along with salsa or a similarly diced mixture. Add no more than 1 to 2 cups of salsa to prevent bean mixture from becoming too thin.
- Add 3 tablespoons Mayonnaise and beat until fully mixed. Mayonnaise can be omitted as it is only included as extra flavor and fat.
- Add in 1 cup of cooked Brown Rice- may use up to 2 cups if desired. Blend completely into bean mixture.
- Slowly stir in package of bread crumbs; mixture will visibly thicken into a heavy paste when all bread crumbs are absorbed.
- The mixture should be very bulky by this point and easily manipulated and rolled with the hands. If the mixture is too runny, add more bread crumbs. Grab handfuls of the bean mixture and press into patties of a medium thickness.
- Servings vary depending on size of burgers- make more or make less- recommended that burgers not be too thick.
- Fry bean burgers on a skillet or frying pan until crust browns slightly. Serve on buns and garnish with traditional burger garnishments.
- These bean burgers freeze extremely well, store in airtight container. Before cooking frozen burgers defrost in microwave similarly to ground beef.
I wanted to rate Chris' New Bean and Rice Burgers rather than this one!