Recipe by AniSarit
I make this every year for Passover, a special spicy treat on top of homemade Gefilte Fish. I would make it more often, but I'm really sensitive, and this makes my eyes burn and tear - consider that a warning. Nonetheless, it's sad to finish the homemade jar, because going back to storebought is dreadful.
- 2 medium beets, cooked and peeled
- 1 horseradish root, about 4 inches long
- 2 -4 tablespoons white vinegar or 2 -4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate the beets into a bowl using the fine side of a hand grater (wear gloves or you'll have some real memories that will last for days).
- Finely grate the horseradish into the bowl (do not touch your face!).
- Add the vinegar, salt, and sugar, and taste for seasoning.
- Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours before serving.
- Store covered in the refrigerator; will keep for several weeks with same strength, and afterwards, the intensity will be reduced.