Recipe by Chef Shadows
This recipe comes from Historical Williamsburg and has been adapted by Chownings for modern cooking. SOURCE : CHOWNING'S TAVERN 18TH CENTURY
- 12 ounces beer, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with
- 4 ounces beer
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer 8 ounces of the beer.
- Stir in dissolved cornstarch solution and return to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add butter and cheese and stir until smooth.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Place in ovenproof serving dish.
- Brown quickly under broiler and serve immediately over thick toast with broiled tomato wedges.
- Note: Any cheese mixture that is left can be refrigerated and used as an excellent spread for crackers or toast.