Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another standard from Colonial Williamsburg.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup beer, divided
- 1 dash cayenne pepper or 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- In the top of a double boiler, melt butter.
- Add cheese and all but 1 tbs.
- of beer.
- Over hot, NOT boiling water, cook until cheese melts.
- In a separate bowl, combine pepper, dry mustard, salt and Worcestershire with remaining tablespoon beer; stir into cheese.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs with cornstarch; stir into cheese mixture and let it thicken slightly.
- Serve immediately over toast, with two pieces of crisp bacon and tomato slice on top.
- Makes 4 servings.
This was very easy and tasty. I mixed the seasonings, cornstarch and egg together and it worked just fine. This is definitely going into my cookbook. Thanks for posting.