Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A different take on the usual salmon chowder. Just for looks I suggest using the skinless variety of canned salmon that is available now. Update - As noted in the reviews adding some cooked potato and extra veggies along with the peas is an option that sound good. Watch the added carbohydrate if you need to.
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can canned salmon
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 4 tablespoons onions, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2⁄3 cup frozen green pea
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 10 drops hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- Pour the liquid from the salmon into a 2-quart saucepan; set the salmon aside.
- To the pan, add the celery, onions and dill weed.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- In small pan melt margarine, add flour and cook until light brown.
- Add 1/4 cup milk slowly, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Stir into the vegetable mixture; add the remaining milk.
- Raise the heat to medium and cook the chowder for 5 minutes, or until bubbly and slightly thickened.
- Add the salmon, peas, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce.
- Simmer for 7 - 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
I loved this! I actually doubled the recipe because I had a 14.5oz can of salmon. I'm not sure if that messed up the ratios or what, but there wasn't near enough liquid in the can to cook the veggies. I added enough water so they didn't burn, but they weren't quite covered. The butter amound seemed too low as well, I used double what I should have, and that still wasn't enough. I used 1/4 c flour and 1 tbsp. butter, but next time I think I'd use at least 2 tbsp. butter. Other than that I made the recipe exactly as stated and it was great. This is definitely a keeper.
I loved it. I'll be making it often I do believe. Thank you for an easy, delicious and budget friendly recipe!
As an Alaskan you quickly run out of salmon recipes and or get tired of the same ones. this is something we are exited to make again------I liked adding potato and carrots with the peas--yummy