Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Crockpot sauce or Oven sauce.Chop all the vegetables at once. Then dump vegies,tuna and liquids in the crockpot or greased casserole dish and forget it.This is so easy!
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, do not drain liquid
- 1 (12 ounce) packagechopped broccoli or 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 large carrots, chopped or 3 large carrots, grated
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, chopped, do not drain liquid
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, stems & pieces with liquid
- 1 (3 ounce) canmild green chili peppers, diced (optional) or 1⁄8 cup diced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1 green tomato, chopped (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Pam cooking spray
- 6 -8 cups chow mein noodles, warmed
- Put the tuna with the water in the crockpot or greased 4 quart casserole.
- Chop or grate all the vegetables and add with liquids in the cans. Add soup, water and milk. Stir to mix soup in with tuna and vegetables and mushrooms.
- You may add any additional chopped vegetables or delete any that you wish. If you delete make sure you additional amount of a vegetable that you like.
- Jalapeno peppers will make the sauce very hot,it seems to intensify in milk bases.
- Set oven 325* or Crockpot High.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours, stirring once or twice, covered.
- Crockpot: About 3 to 4 hours.
- Mix cornstarch with water, stir in the last 1/2 hour of cooking time. Stir once more just before serving.
- Serve over chow mein noodles or egg noodles.
- Cooking time is for oven baked casserole.
- Personally, I love chopped green tomatoes in this but everyone has their own personal tastes.