Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a really old fashioned dish my mum used to make. Tomoko has come to live with us, and tonight she made this for her first cooking lesson. Now I'll post it here then print it out for her.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 large cabbage, finely sliced
- 3 celery ribs, finely sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchstick sized pieces
- 250 g frozen green beans
- 2 (40 g) packets chicken noodle soup
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Heat the oil in a large wok or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the meat, and cook until the meat changes colour.
- Now add the remaining ingredients, and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are well cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in deep bowls over steamed rice.
- *This is a really old fashioned dish, and I like it well cooked, not crispy like modern Chinese food.
- It's even better reheated the following day.
I made this the other night. I didnt use this recipe, but it is exactly the same as mine, except I add 3 tablespoons of long grain rice, which I sprinkle over the cabbage. Thing is, I didnt have rice, so I used orzo, I didnt have chicken noodle soup, so I used stock powder. it was awfull!! make this recipe, its perfevt!
Blast from the past! This is exactly how I remember my grandmother making it, however with so many hungry mouths I believe she used pork mince as it was cheaper. I used turkey mince and it was the same as I remembered. Great for a change, not really Asian as by today's standards, but still tasty and my husband enjoyed this very much.
Well this may seem like an old fashioned recipe to you Jan, but we have never had anything like it. As it was cooking, I had planned on feeding my 8 year old some meatballs as I never imagined she would eat anything like this. She came running into the kitchen to ask what the delicious smell was! We all really, really enjoyed this and I will make it again. I had none left to try for the next day. Thanks for a new family favourite, easy and delicious :)