This is a really old fashioned dish my mum used to make. Tomoko has come to live with us, and tonight she made this for her first cooking lesson. Now I'll post it here then print it out for her.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 large cabbage, finely sliced
- 3 celery ribs, finely sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchstick sized pieces
- 250 g frozen green beans
- 2 (40 g) packets chicken noodle soup
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Heat the oil in a large wok or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the meat, and cook until the meat changes colour.
- Now add the remaining ingredients, and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are well cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in deep bowls over steamed rice.
- *This is a really old fashioned dish, and I like it well cooked, not crispy like modern Chinese food.
- It's even better reheated the following day.