Chef #779170's Note:
This is my Mom's recipe. Don't know where she got it, but it is delicious. We always put it over chow mein (toasted) noodles, but it is good over rice, soba and Marco Polo noodles as well. Even my Father liked this and he always swore he hated cooked onions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -1 1/2 lb lean hamburger
- 1 (15 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained and rinsed
- 2 (8 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 10 1/2 ounces soup can water
- 2 (5 ounce) cans chow mein noodles
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Lightly brown hamburger and drain off excess fat.
- 3Add pepper, onion and celery plus enough water to cover.
- 4Simmer for 20 minutes.
- 5Add sprouts, water chestnuts and canned soup plus one soup can of water. Should be a little thin, as it will thicken upon baking.
- 6Add soy sauce and pour mixture into 2 -3 qt, casserole.
- 7Bake 25 - 30 minutes (until thickened and well seasoned).
- 8Served over noodles.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chow Mein Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.2
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 10.8 mg
- Sodium 1100.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 12.4 g