Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my Mom's recipe. Don't know where she got it, but it is delicious. We always put it over chow mein (toasted) noodles, but it is good over rice, soba and Marco Polo noodles as well. Even my Father liked this and he always swore he hated cooked onions.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb lean hamburger
- 1 (15 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained and rinsed
- 2 (8 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 10 1⁄2 ounces soup can water
- 2 (5 ounce) cans chow mein noodles
- 1 dash black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly brown hamburger and drain off excess fat.
- Add pepper, onion and celery plus enough water to cover.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add sprouts, water chestnuts and canned soup plus one soup can of water. Should be a little thin, as it will thicken upon baking.
- Add soy sauce and pour mixture into 2 -3 qt, casserole.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes (until thickened and well seasoned).
- Served over noodles.