1/1 Photo of Chow Down Chimichangas
3 hrs 20 mins
Karen From Colorado's Note:
Delicious fried burrito like Mexican meal. Serve with spanish rice and refried beans for a complete meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 12 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- prepared green chili sauce (Chile Verde Con Cerdo (Green Chili With Pork))
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- 1Combine meat, water, garlic, chilies, chili powder, vinegar, oregano, salt, cumin and pepper in a medium saucepan.
- 2Bring to boil.
- 3Cover and reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- 4Uncover and boil rapidly for about 15 minutes or until water is almost evaporated.
- 5Watch closely and stir near end of cooking time so meat doesn't stick.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Using 2 forks, shred meat very fine.
- 8Add a little of the green chili sauce to moisten if necessary.
- 9Warm tortillas wrapped in foil in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- 10Spoon about 1/4 cup meat mixture onto each tortilla, near one edge.
- 11Fold top and bottom edge over the meat filling.
- 12Fold the two sides in over filling.
- 13Secure with toothpicks.
- 14Fry filled tortillas in 1/2 inch hot oil or fat for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown.
- 15Drain on paper towels.
- 16Keep warm in 300 degree oven while frying remaining chimichangas.
- 17To serve, ladle some green chili sauce over the chimichangas.
- 18Top with lettuce, sour cream and guacamole.
- 19Note: Unfried chimichangas can be made ahead and frozen for another meal if desired. Prepare as directed and freeze in freezer bags. Thaw and fry. The recommended chili sauce can also be frozen to go with your frozen chimichangas.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chow Down Chimichangas
Serving Size: 1 (2026 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.3
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 78.6 mg
- Sodium 701.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 26.3 g