Recipe by Jellyqueen
This recipe can be made with green tomatoes or ripe tomatoes. Whichever you prefer. The measurements can be altered to suit your own taste. It just depends on how hot or mild you want your chow chow. Yield is a guess. I use whatever size jars I have empty, so I never really know the exact yield.
Top Review by Beansy
This will be an all time favorite of my family. I used Red Carribean and scotch bonnets for peppers. Very spicy like we like!! So many uses for this recipe.Easy to make and will be on my yearly list of items to make!! Thank you so very much for sharing this!!
- 24 -30 large tomatoes
- 1 cup hot pepper
- 4 large onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons allspice
- 4 tablespoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and chop tomatoes and put into a large stock pot.
- Chop peppers and onions and put into pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring pretty often.
- Cook on med heat until thick, approximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- Put into prepared canning jars.
- Making sure rims of jars are completely clean, place lids and rings onto jars and process in hot water bath for 5 minutes.