Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is my sweet grandmother's recipe. To my family, it is the only recipe. Grinding the vegetables can be tedious but the smiles on my family's faces when I make it, make it worth every second.
- 1 gallon green to pink tomatoes (about 10 lbs)
- 1 gallon cabbage (about 7 lbs)
- 1 gallon onion (about 10 lbs)
- 1 quart green bell pepper (about 3 lbs)
- 4 red bell peppers
- 3 quarts vinegar
- 3 lbs sugar (about 3 3/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- jalapeno pepper, can be added
- Grind or chop fine all vegetables and salt down with scant cup of salt for 2 hours or overnight. Drain well.
- Put into large pot and add vinegar, sugar and spices.
- Boil 20 minutes and put into clean canning jars; place lids and rings on and process in a water bath for 8-10 minutes.