Recipe by MacChef
This is my sweet grandmother's recipe. To my family, it is the only recipe. Grinding the vegetables can be tedious but the smiles on my family's faces when I make it, make it worth every second.
- 1 gallon green to pink tomatoes (about 10 lbs)
- 1 gallon cabbage (about 7 lbs)
- 1 gallon onion (about 10 lbs)
- 1 quart green bell pepper (about 3 lbs)
- 4 red bell peppers
- 3 quarts vinegar
- 3 lbs sugar (about 3 3/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- jalapeno pepper, can be added
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind or chop fine all vegetables and salt down with scant cup of salt for 2 hours or overnight. Drain well.
- Put into large pot and add vinegar, sugar and spices.
- Boil 20 minutes and put into clean canning jars; place lids and rings on and process in a water bath for 8-10 minutes.