Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This pastry can be used for sweet or savoury. Great as cream puffs, profiterole or eclair. Can be piped or spooned. Choux pastry is quite easy to make and makes a welcome addition to a gluten-free diet. This recipe does not use Xanthan or other gums. Unfilled pastries can be frozen for up to 2 months. Pastries can be crisped back up in the oven if necessary after defrosting. You can easily double this mix if required
- 1⁄4 cup plain gluten-free flour, use a blended mix
- 1⁄4 cup rice flour, use the finest ground flour that you can find
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 55 g butter (just under 2 ounces)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 220°C or 420°F Line two cookie sheets or baking trays with baking paper.
- Double sfit together the flours.Set aside.
- Add the water and butter to a saucepan. Place over heat until the butter has melted.
- Add all of the flour at once to the water/butter mix. Remove from heat and stir vigorously until the mixture is smooth. It will be very lumpy at first but should smooth out. Stir vigorously and quickly.
- Transfer the mix to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on low and add both eggs- one at a time. For a sweet dough add the sugar between adding the first and second egg.
- Beat well between adding eggs. (You can do this step by hand but it is so much easier using the electric mixer).
- Beat at a medium speed until the dough becomes very smooth.
- Use a piping bag or spoon to from desired shapes onto the baking trays. The pastry will at least double in size during the cooking.
- For the optional glaze- Mix the egg yolk and water. Brush lightly over the tops of your pastries.
- Bake approx 25 minutes or until the pastries have risen and are nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and cut a small slit into the side of eaach pastry to allow the steam to escape. This helps to stop the pastries being soggy inside.
- File with savoury or sweet fillings as desired. Top with chocolate or icing sugar if desired.
- Options for filling- custard, cream, savoury chicken filling, berries and cream, vanilla yogurt and strawberries.