Recipe by **Jubes**
This pastry can be used for sweet or savoury. Great as cream puffs, profiterole or eclair. Can be piped or spooned. Choux pastry is quite easy to make and makes a welcome addition to a gluten-free diet. This recipe does not use Xanthan or other gums. Unfilled pastries can be frozen for up to 2 months. Pastries can be crisped back up in the oven if necessary after defrosting. You can easily double this mix if required
- 1⁄4 cup plain gluten-free flour, use a blended mix
- 1⁄4 cup rice flour, use the finest ground flour that you can find
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 55 g butter (just under 2 ounces)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 220°C or 420°F Line two cookie sheets or baking trays with baking paper.
- Double sfit together the flours.Set aside.
- Add the water and butter to a saucepan. Place over heat until the butter has melted.
- Add all of the flour at once to the water/butter mix. Remove from heat and stir vigorously until the mixture is smooth. It will be very lumpy at first but should smooth out. Stir vigorously and quickly.
- Transfer the mix to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on low and add both eggs- one at a time. For a sweet dough add the sugar between adding the first and second egg.
- Beat well between adding eggs. (You can do this step by hand but it is so much easier using the electric mixer).
- Beat at a medium speed until the dough becomes very smooth.
- Use a piping bag or spoon to from desired shapes onto the baking trays. The pastry will at least double in size during the cooking.
- For the optional glaze- Mix the egg yolk and water. Brush lightly over the tops of your pastries.
- Bake approx 25 minutes or until the pastries have risen and are nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and cut a small slit into the side of eaach pastry to allow the steam to escape. This helps to stop the pastries being soggy inside.
- File with savoury or sweet fillings as desired. Top with chocolate or icing sugar if desired.
- Options for filling- custard, cream, savoury chicken filling, berries and cream, vanilla yogurt and strawberries.