Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is my own invention, and some ideas from old cookbooks. My husband and I were married in Germany 43 years ago, and I loved the cooking that I experienced there. It's a complete meal, but not as heavy as some of the German cooking of the past. Enjoy!30
- 4 pork chops, salt and peppered to taste
- 4 cooked sausages, of your choice
- 8 red potatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 head green cabbage, sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 apples, peeled,cored and sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) package sauerkraut, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon caraway seed
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Salt and pepper pork chops and brown on both sides in a skillet in oil.
- In a deep oven pan (like a lasagna pan) place sliced potatoes in one layer, then cabbage evenly over the potatoes.
- Add onion layer, and then apple layer.
- Mix sauerkraut and caraway seeds together, and spread evenly over the apples.
- Mix broth, apple juice, pepper and cloves together and pour over all the vegetables.
- Place browned chops and sausages over the top.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serves four.
This is a great one-dish meal! Easy to prepare and oh so flavorful. It's even better reheated the next day. This is a winner. Thanks AGAIN, Carole for a great recipe.
Excellent fall recipe! The tastes melded together nicely. Easy to make. Personal taste: Next time I think I might serve the sauerkraut on the side as it lost some of its bite. Also: I had to cook this an extra 40 minutes before the potatoes were fully cooked...maybe the foil wasn't sealed tighly enough. So next time (and there will be a next time!)I think I'll cook this in a casserole dish with a tightly fitted cover. Bet that would do the trick! Thanks so much for posting this recipe.