1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
carole in orlando's Note:
This is my own invention, and some ideas from old cookbooks. My husband and I were married in Germany 43 years ago, and I loved the cooking that I experienced there. It's a complete meal, but not as heavy as some of the German cooking of the past. Enjoy!30
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 pork chops, salt and peppered to taste
- 4 cooked sausages, of your choice
- 8 red potatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 head green cabbage, sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 apples, peeled,cored and sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) package sauerkraut, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon caraway seed
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1Salt and pepper pork chops and brown on both sides in a skillet in oil.
- 2In a deep oven pan (like a lasagna pan) place sliced potatoes in one layer, then cabbage evenly over the potatoes.
- 3Add onion layer, and then apple layer.
- 4Mix sauerkraut and caraway seeds together, and spread evenly over the apples.
- 5Mix broth, apple juice, pepper and cloves together and pour over all the vegetables.
- 6Place browned chops and sausages over the top.
- 7Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- 8Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- 9Serves four.
Browse Our Top Weeknight Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Weeknight Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Choucroute Garnie (Sauerkraut and Meat)
Serving Size: 1 (862 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 865.4
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 115.3 mg
- Sodium 1425.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.4 g
- Sugars 28.5 g
- Protein 45.2 g