1 hr 20 mins
Member #610488's Note:
Was served this recipe by friends. Favorite of the family!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into fourths
- 2 tart apples, sliced
- 12 juniper berries (optional)
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 smoked pork chops, 1/2-inch thick
- 4 frankfurters, slashed diagonally
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1Cook and stir bacon and onion in Dutch oven or 12-inch skillet until bacon is crisp; drain. Stir in sauerkraut and brown sugar. Add potatoes and apples.
- 2Tie juniper berries, peppercorns, cloves, parsley and bay leaf in cheesecloth bag or place in tea ball; add to sauerkraut.
- 3Add pork chops and frankfurters. Pour chicken broth over meat.
- 4Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until meat is done and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove spice bag.
- 5Remove sauerkraut, potatoes and apples to large platter with slotted spoon. Arrange meat around edge.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Choucroute Garnie a L'alsacienne (Alsatian Pork W/Sauerkraut)
Serving Size: 1 (524 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.5
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 37.9 mg
- Sodium 1872.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked pork chops