Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Was served this recipe by friends. Favorite of the family!
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into fourths
- 2 tart apples, sliced
- 12 juniper berries (optional)
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 smoked pork chops, 1/2-inch thick
- 4 frankfurters, slashed diagonally
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Cook and stir bacon and onion in Dutch oven or 12-inch skillet until bacon is crisp; drain. Stir in sauerkraut and brown sugar. Add potatoes and apples.
- Tie juniper berries, peppercorns, cloves, parsley and bay leaf in cheesecloth bag or place in tea ball; add to sauerkraut.
- Add pork chops and frankfurters. Pour chicken broth over meat.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until meat is done and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove spice bag.
- Remove sauerkraut, potatoes and apples to large platter with slotted spoon. Arrange meat around edge.