Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful full flavoured main dish that makes a great winter meal. It's hearty and tasty,,worth making.
- 2 lbs sauerkraut (preferably,from a jar or vac pac bag)
- 4 ounces roughly diced bacon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 unpeeled granny smith apple, grated
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 bouquet garni
- 8 juniper berries
- 8 ounces white wine
- 1 3⁄4 pints chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 1 lb diced lean pork
- 1 lb smoked pork sausage, eg.kransky,knackwurst,cut into thick diagonal slices
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Soak Saurkraut for 30 mins in cold water.
- Cook bacon in a frying pan for about 5 mins, add oil,onion,carrots and cook, stirring until onion is golden.
- Place Saurkraut,in a casserole dish, stir in bacon mixture, apple and carraway seeds.
- Add juniper berries,boquet garni, wine and enough stock to just cover.
- Top with buttered greaseproof paper and bring to simmering, cook for 30mins adding stock to stop any drying.
- (this can be done in oven or in large pan on stove top.) Meltbutter in frying pan and cook pork stirring until golden.
- Add pork and sausage to casserole Cook about 2 hours or until tender.
- Remove boquet garni, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve with ryebread, boiled potatoes and German style mustard.