2 hrs 20 mins
This is a wonderful full flavoured main dish that makes a great winter meal. It's hearty and tasty,,worth making.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs sauerkraut (preferably,from a jar or vac pac bag)
- 4 ounces roughly diced bacon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 unpeeled granny smith apple, grated
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 bouquet garni
- 8 juniper berries
- 8 ounces white wine
- 1 3/4 pints chicken stock
- 1 1/2 ounces butter
- 1 lb diced lean pork
- 1 lb smoked pork sausage, eg.kransky,knackwurst,cut into thick diagonal slices
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1Soak Saurkraut for 30 mins in cold water.
- 3Cook bacon in a frying pan for about 5 mins, add oil,onion,carrots and cook, stirring until onion is golden.
- 4Place Saurkraut,in a casserole dish, stir in bacon mixture, apple and carraway seeds.
- 5Add juniper berries,boquet garni, wine and enough stock to just cover.
- 6Top with buttered greaseproof paper and bring to simmering, cook for 30mins adding stock to stop any drying.
- 7(this can be done in oven or in large pan on stove top.) Meltbutter in frying pan and cook pork stirring until golden.
- 8Add pork and sausage to casserole Cook about 2 hours or until tender.
- 9Remove boquet garni, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- 10Serve with ryebread, boiled potatoes and German style mustard.
Nutritional Facts for Choucroute Garnie
Serving Size: 1 (1010 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2265.0
- Calories from Fat 1554
- Total Fat 172.7 g
- Saturated Fat 62.2 g
- Cholesterol 398.2 mg
- Sodium 8552.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 129.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: