Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
The Alcassienne/French way of the sauerkraut.
- 1 cured pork knuckle
- 1 lb cured pork belly
- 1 lb cured and marbled pork neck
- 1 garlic sausage
- 4 lbs fresh sauerkraut
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 laurel leaves
- 5 juniper berries
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon lard
- 1⁄2 liter dry white wine
- black pudding
- 6 big potatoes
- Make the onion in the molten lard glassy. Steam the sauerkraut in the lard. Put the spices and the wine into the pot. Put in the meat and boil all together for one hour.
- In the mean time peel the potatoes and boil them for 1/2 hour separately.
- 1/4 hour before end give in the sausages, five minutes bevore end give in the potatoes to get taste (Never boil potatoes together with sauerkraut, they would't get mellow because of the lactic acid!).
- Put the sauerkraut on a plate and arrange the potatoes, the meat and the sausages over it.
- Serve with mustard, the same white wine and a clear schnapps.