Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a dish my mom would make on an occasional Sunday. We lived near an alpine market so the variety of sausages changed often.
- 5 lbs fresh sauerkraut
- 1⁄2 cup bacon, cut into bits
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 bottle dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 4 cloves
- 1 (12 ounce) piece unsmoked bacon or 1 (12 ounce) piece ham
- 20 -24 mixed sausages, cut into 2 inch lengths (frankfurter, bratwurst, knockwurst, etc.)
- Soak the sauerkraut in a large bowl filled with cold water, and soak for 15 minutes.
- While sauerkraut is soaking, saute bacon, in a large oven proof pan, for 1 minute.
- Turn heat to medium-low, add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Squeeze the sauerkraut dry, reserving 1 cup of the soaking water and add the sauerkraut to the pot.
- Stir well to blend with bacon.
- Add the reserved cup of soaking water, the white wine, the juniper berries, the peppercorns and the cloves.
- Bring to boil on top of stove and boil until the liquid has almost evaporated (about 20-30 minutes).
- Imbed the meats in the sauerkraut, cover the pot and cook in the oven until the meats are hot, about 30 minutes.
Wonderful tasty dish! I like soaking the sauerkraut for this particular dish it gives the dish a very mild flavor. This recipe would lend itself beautifully to the crockpot (next time I will do it in a crockpot). I did not have Juniper berries so used 1/4 cup gin and cut back on the kraut water. I used all smoked sausages. When you say to saute the bacon obviously you mean the 1/2 cup of bacon, not the slab of bacon Thanks for a great dinner Tarynne