1 hr 15 mins
This is a dish my mom would make on an occasional Sunday. We lived near an alpine market so the variety of sausages changed often.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs fresh sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup bacon, cut into bits
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 bottle dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 4 cloves
- 1 (12 ounce) piece unsmoked bacon or 1 (12 ounce) piece ham
- 20 -24 mixed sausages, cut into 2 inch lengths (frankfurter, bratwurst, knockwurst, etc.)
- 1Soak the sauerkraut in a large bowl filled with cold water, and soak for 15 minutes.
- 2While sauerkraut is soaking, saute bacon, in a large oven proof pan, for 1 minute.
- 3Turn heat to medium-low, add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- 4Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- 5Squeeze the sauerkraut dry, reserving 1 cup of the soaking water and add the sauerkraut to the pot.
- 6Stir well to blend with bacon.
- 7Add the reserved cup of soaking water, the white wine, the juniper berries, the peppercorns and the cloves.
- 8Bring to boil on top of stove and boil until the liquid has almost evaporated (about 20-30 minutes).
- 9Imbed the meats in the sauerkraut, cover the pot and cook in the oven until the meats are hot, about 30 minutes.
Nutritional Facts for Choucroute Garni
Serving Size: 1 (852 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 954.7
- Calories from Fat 680
- Total Fat 75.6 g
- Saturated Fat 25.0 g
- Cholesterol 172.9 mg
- Sodium 4166.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 38.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: