Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My husband came up with this recipe when I wouldn't let him buy the real thing anymore. It's very tasty and if you use ground pork is exactly like the stuff you buy at the grocery.
- 907.18 g ground beef or 907.18 g chicken or 907.18 g pork or 907.18 g veggie crumbles
- 17.25 ml salt
- 88.74 ml pure red chili powder
- 6-20 small hot dried red chilies, crushed or 9.85 ml paprika
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml dry oregano leaves
- 9.85 ml whole cumin seeds, crushed
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 7.39 ml sugar
- 59.16 ml cider vinegar or 59.16 ml wine vinegar
- 36.97 ml water
- mix well and cook through or add to your favorite recipe. This is great mixed up with scrambled eggs!
I love chorizo but have pretty much given it up for health reasons. Having a healthier way to prepare my own is a delight. I made a pound using lean ground turkey meat and z-Sweet (a natural zero calorie substitute) in place of the sugar making this compatible with the WW Core program. The results were terrific and had all the flavor of the pork version with a good amount of heat. Used a small amount with scrambled egg whites for breakfast and chilled the rest to use in a stew later. The chilled sausage was even better than the morning version as the spices were more melded and developed. If you have time mix this the night before to use later. As Annacia said a real keeper.
Really excellent. I did the same as Sharon, made 1/2 and used the veggie option (Yves Ground Round Original) and softened the onion in water instead of oil then followed the recipe. It tastes great in a spoon from the pan and I used it in Spicy Sausage Pie which was much enjoyed. It's a keeper!
I used veggie crumbles(Morningstar) and halved the recipe. Delicious flavor! I will use this in my Make Ahead Omelet. Thanks! Made for PRMR game.