Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
365: No Repeats. Rachael Ray.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling (EVOO)
- 3⁄4 lb chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 chopped and 1 crushed
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 6 medium red potatoes, cut in half and then thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, such as Muir Glen brand organic
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 slices crusty country bread
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 orange, zest of
- Preheat a large soup pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Add the 2 cloves of chopped garlic, the onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken stock and bring up to a bubble, then turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- While the stew is simmering, toast the bread in the broiler or in a toaster oven. Rub with the crushed garlic clove and then drizzle EVOO over it and reserve.
- Pile the parsley leaves, lemon and orange zest on a cutting board. Run your knife through the pile until the parsley is finely chopped and the zests are completely incorporated into the parsley; reserve.
- To serve, arrange the garlic croutons in the bottom of 4 shallow soup bowls, ladle some of the chorizo-tomato stew on top of the croutons, toss a little of the zesty parsley sprinkle over the stew, and serve.