Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Make and share this Chorizo Stuffed Roasted Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork
- 1⁄4 lb fresh chorizo sausage, removed from the casing and crumbled
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 12 slices white bread
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 roasting chicken, rinsed with cool water and patted dry
- butchers kitchen twine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the pork and chorizo and cook until completely browned , about 3 minutes.
- Add the onions, celery, and bell pepper, and cook, stirring until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Put the bread in a large rectangular glass baking dish and pour in the chicken stock.
- Soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove and squeeze each slice, reserving the stock.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread and stock with the pork and vegetable mixture. Mix well. Season with salt, black pepper, and the crushed red pepper. Stir in the parsley. Let cool completely season again with salt and pepper. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and black pepper. Stuff the cavity with the sausage mixture.
- Close the cavity and cross the legs, securing them with the butchers twine.
- Put the water in the bottom of a roasting pan and place the chicken in the center of the pan.
- Bake until the chicken browns evenly, about 1 hour.
- Reduce the heat to 375 degree Fahrenheit and continue to bake until it becomes very tender and the juices run clear, about another hour.
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before carving into serving pieces.
- Serve with stuffing.