Recipe by JustJanS
I've made this a couple of times, to rave reviews from my family. It's really easy to make, it's tasty and hearty, and makes the shrimp go a long way.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into dice
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into dice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup quick-cook Spanish rice (or other variety is OK)
- salt and pepper
- 7 ounces chorizo sausage, casings removed, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups fish stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb raw large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large lidded frying pan over medium-high heat, Add the onion and bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato, rice, salt and pepper to taste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chorizo, then the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the rice is tender, but the dish is still moist.
- Add the shrimp, stir through and cover.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink and the liquid has been absorbed.
- If it looks too moist, simmer an additional 2 minutes uncovered.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.