Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a hearty and tasty one-pot meal, and is especially delicious served with crusty bread or mashed potato.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250 g streaky bacon, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 leek, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh soft thyme leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400 g fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 600 g fresh chorizo sausages
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 (400 g) cans brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch english spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat until it is golden and has released its fat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, leek, bay leaves, thyme and garlic to the pan and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add the sliced mushrooms, and cook a few more minutes until mushrooms have softened.
- Meanwhile, brown the sausages, then cut them into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add the wine, stock and sausages to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer the mixture for 20 minutes. Give it a stir from time to time, and add a little more red wine or stock if necessary.
- At the end of this time, add the lentils.
- Fold in the spinach and parsley and cook until wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve piping hot.