Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Classic Mexican sausage - good with ANYTHING!!
- 1 1⁄2 ground pork
- 8 ounces pork fat
- 12 medium dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Partially freeze pork & pork fat (approx 15 minutes).
- In food processor, grind chilies (stems & seeds removed) with the vinegar & the water to form a paste.
- Strain in to large bowl.
- Combine pork, fat, & seasonings well --
- IF it seems to get "mushy", place back in the freezer to firm up, then give the mixing a second go.
- Cover & refrigerate overnight, at which point it is ready to use or package for the freezer (divide in to portions of your choosing) OR stuff casings for link chorizo.
- The salt can be optional, or to taste, but will require making it for you to decide.