Recipe by Dib's
Here's a great football sunday sandwich! Serve with refried beans and mexican rice. You can cut squares smaller for appys as well.
Top Review by Bogey'sMom
I did this the lazy way. Instead of using the dough, I bought two big loaves of Cuban bread and stuffed them with the filling. Excellent. Adults and teenagers alike inhaled them. The one piece left my son is having for breakfast this morning. As always, your recipe is a keeper.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry active yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water
- 1 lb chorizo sausage (see Chorizo)
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese or 16 ounces crumbled queso fresco
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium glass bowl combine 2 cups of flour, yeast, salt and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add the warm water mixing well.
- Add enough flour to make a firm dough.
- Turn out and kneed for 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased glass bowl, turning once to coat dough ball.
- Cover and place in a warm spot for 60 minutes.
- While dough is rising cook sausage in a large skillet.
- When browned and cooked drain off fat.
- Add the red, green, onion, jalapenos, and garlic.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes stirring often.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 8x10 inch baking pan.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and punch down.
- Roll out half the dough into a 9x11 inch rectangle.
- Gently press into the prepared pan allowing dough to go up sides by 1 inch.
- Spoon sausage mixture onto dough.
- Evenly sprinkle cheese on top of sausage mixture.
- Roll out remaining dough into a 8x10 inch rectangle.
- Place on top of cheese layer and pinch edges to seal.
- Cut slits in top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown (use an egg wash if you wish).
- Cut into squares and serve.