Recipe by flower7
I had a pie crust to use and some black beans, so came up with this recipe. Be sure to use the Mexican style fresh chorizo, not the Spanish smoked & cured variety.
- 9 inches pie crusts, unbaked
- 8 ounces mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed (if necessary)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups Mexican blend cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Roll out pie crust and place in pie plate; set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high and saute chorizo, breaking into smaller chunks, for 4-5 minutes or until mostly cooked through. Add onion and cook until onion is soft and chorizo is cooked all the way through. Stir in beans.
- Place cheese in crust then add onion, chorizo & bean mixture.
- Beat eggs and milk together until slightly foamy then add salt and pepper. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake until brown and puffed, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.