Recipe by ms.susan
These are faily quick and easy to make. I like a dollop of sour cream on mine, but Andy prefers salsa! Add a side of sweet corn and a green salad et voila! A dinner worthy of guests!
Top Review by MrsDrewsMom
This recipe suffers from lack of details. After you fry the sausage, where does it go? In the tortillas or on top of them? When the sauce is simmered, do you leave the lid on or off? After pouring the sauce over the enchiladas to bake, do you cover with foil or leave open? What temperature is the oven? Since I had all of the ingredients on hand, I made guesses based on 20 years of cooking experience (sausage in tortillas, simmered with lid on, foil on 15 minutes, off 15 minutes while baking, 350? oven). The enchiladas were dry and lacked flavor, requiring additional salsa at the table for moisture and spice. I'd look elsewhere for a more detailed recipe.
- 1 lb chorizo sausage (mild)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- .Remove sausages from casings. Finely chop jalapeno pepper. Dice green pepper.
- Fry sausages and peppers until peppers are limp and meat is thoroughly cooked. You may add 1/2 cup of water and cook on medium until water has evaporated.
- Take a tortilla, cover 2/3 of it lightly with the shredded mozerella cheese, then roll up the tortilla and place it in the casserole pan. Continue until all tortillas are filled and rolled.
- In a small saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cover with Red Enchilada sauce, making sure each enchilada is thoroughly coated. Cover the whole casserole with grated cheddar cheese. Put the casserole in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese melts and the sauce is bubbling.