Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Make sure you buy whole chorizo sausages and slice them yourself, as the packets of ready sliced chorizo that you can buy are too thin for this soup.
- 50 g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 500 g floury potatoes, cubed
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 250 g chorizo sausages, cut into 1 cm wide slices
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the butter in a large pan and cook the onion, garlic and potatoes for 5 minutes until lightly golden.
- Add the leek and cayenne and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes are very soft and beginning to break up into the soup.
- Using a potato masher, roughly mash the potatoes into the soup.
- Stir in the chorizo and simmer gently for 5 minutes until the orange coloured oil from the chorizo rises to the surface of the soup.
- Check the seasoning, ladle into bowls and garnish with a sprig of flat leaf parsley.
- Serve with lots of crusty bread for mopping up.