From: BH&G July 2012 Recipes Stand Time: 30 mins.
Make and share this Chorizo-Chile Burger With Pickled Onions and Poblano-Avocado Spr recipe from Food.com.
- 1 poblano pepper, fresh
- 1 medium avocado, halved, seeded, and peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, juice of (4 Tbsp.)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt or sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, uncooked
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 6 hamburger buns
- Poblano-Avocado Spread.
- Hold poblano pepper with tongs over gas flame of burner or broil until charred on all sides. (Or place pepper on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until skin is bubbly and browned.) Wrap in foil and lets stand for 20 to 30 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- When cooled slip off blackened skin, twist off stem, and scoop out seeds and discard.
- Coarsely chop and transfer to small bowl.
- Add half of the avocado and coarsely mash with a fork.
- Slice the remaining half of the avocado and add to the bowl.
- Stir in lime juice, cilantro and mayonnaise. Season to taste with salt.
- Refrigerate until time to assemble burgers.
- Pickled Onions.
- In medium saucepan of boiling water, heat onion slices 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl of ice water to cool. Drain.
- In second bowl combine cooled onions, lime juice, vinegar, cumin, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Chorizo-Chile Burger.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook chorizo about 5 minutes, until slightly browned and becoming crisp, breaking up meat with a spatula. Remove from heat.
- Spread on plate lined with paper towels to cool.
- Start charcoal fire or preheat gas grill for direct cooking.
- In bowl combined cooled chorizo with ground beef.
- Form into six 3/4-inch thick patties.
- Indent center of each patty.
- Grill over medium heat, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes, until done (160 degrees F), turning once midway through grilling time.
- Spread Poblano -Avocado Spread on buns.
- Layer patties and pickled onions on buns. Makes 6 burgers.
Quote from my husband: "You should put chorizo into our burgers all of the time". I was so surprised he not only liked the chorizo but loved it! This recipe gets 5 stars for that alone! I also really enjoyed the poblano avocado spread. It was the first time I've ever pickled onions and I really enjoyed them. Made for ZWT8 Mexico/SW/Tex-Mex. Gracias!