Recipe by Chef Shadows
Found this recipe tucked away in the back of the kitchen drawer. Do not remember where it came from. Spanish style burger made from beef and chorizo sausage, topped with caramelized onions and smoked red pepper ranch sauce and shavings of Manchego cheese served on over sized buns. These are 1/2 pound burgers for big eaters!
Top Review by French Tart
This is a 10 star recipe for taste, appearance and a well written recipe too! It does take some time to prep all the ingredients, but I can assure you that it is well worth it. This is a LUXURY burger and ticks all my boxes for taste and flavour! The smoked paprika and saffron take this recipe to another taste level; whilst the red pepper ranch dressing adds a subtle and exciting flavour, and none of the above ingredients overpower the flavour of the burger. I am a HUGE lover of caramelised onions, and they are wonderful with this spicy burger. I served this with fried potatoes and fresh tomatoes from the garden. I did not have kaiser rolls, so I used my home-made French Boule bread - sliced and lightly toasted. I made this for Beyond Burgers in the Photos Forum, and also for the Gardening, Herbs and Spices Forum - Herb/Spice of the month - PAPRIKA! I used smoked paprika in this recipe for a subtle smoky flavour. Amazing Shadows - a burger beyond any burger I have ever tasted - wonderful! Oh yes, I used mature Cheddar cheese.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 lb chorizo sausage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, quartered
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1 pinch powdered saffron
- 1 teaspoon spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 4 large kaiser rolls
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 4 ounces grated manchego cheese or 4 ounces grated cheese, of choice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground sirloin and chorizo using your hands.
- Set aside to let the flavors blend.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add one chopped onion, and saute until tender.
- Transfer the onion to a blender.
- Add the red pepper, Ranch dressing, saffron, and paprika.
- Pulse until fairly smooth.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the remaining onions, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir for about 15 minutes until the onions are golden brown.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the grill for high heat.
- Form the meat into four patties, slightly larger than the buns.
- Place burgers on the grill, and cook for 5 minutes per side, or until done to your likeing.
- Split buns in half, and spread butter on the inside.
- Place on the grill to toast briefly.
- Place burgers onto buns, and top with caramelized onion and the roasted pepper ranch sauce.
- Sprinkle with a few shavings of cheese, and place the top of the bun on top.