Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Another great rustic bread thats great with cheeses, salad, and beer.
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage, in bulk "or' casings removed
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temp
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium heavy skillet cook chorizo until done and slightly crisp.
- Drain thoroughly.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, cheese, onion, sugar, baking powder, cumin and baking soda.
- In another large bowl beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Stin in milk.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Stir in melted butter and chorizo.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until just moist.
- Spoon into a greased cast iron skillet.
- Bake for about 50 minutes.
- Tap the top of bread, and if it sounds hollow it's done.
- Top with cheese and bake for another 5-7 minutes.
- Remove and cool for 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto a rack and cool at least another 15 minutes before slicing.
Having never purchased or even eaten chorizo, when Twissis & I were planning our cooking marathon & she chose this recipe, I was unsure. But bowing to her wisdom, I ferreted out the ingredients & turned her loose in my kitchen. What a delightful surprise! I loved it! Thanks for sharing your recipe & thx to MP for making it! (P.S. It's tastebud tingling when served with Smoky Chipotle Butter )
DH & I are in Dallas visiting SusieQusie & we made this bread tonite to accompany a crockpot roast & salad dinner. I loved this bread - a dense, moist texture & so full of flavor. We wanted the full flavor of chorizo, so used 6 oz of ground chorizo for a half recipe. We used a 10" cast iron skillet & a full recipe would have required a much larger one. I have been craving chorizo since moving to Iceland & this was a welcome & tasty find. Thx for sharing w/us.
This was a very good bread. I used my cast iron skillet for cooking the chorizo and baking the bread. We thought it could use more chorizo though. Personal taste. I served with beer cheese soup and a salad. A very hearty meal. I will be making it again!