Recipe by windhorse23
This is adapted from a recipe I found on the Weight Watchers site. The original recipe calls for cooking in a crockpot. Instructions for the crockpot version are included at the bottom. It makes about 5 servings--not a huge potfull.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
I just realized now that I'm reviewing this that I forgot the lime juice ~ most definitely would have made this taste better. Not that it tasted bad because it didn't. I made my own chorizo using recipe #363000. The only thing that I would do different next time would be to mash some of the beans to make it a little thicker. Made for New Kid on the Block Tag.
- 1⁄4 lb chorizo sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 15 ounces black beans, undrained
- 15 ounces chicken broth, fat free
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the casing from the chorizo and begin to break it up and brown it in a medium saucepot. After a few minutes add the onion, garlic and green pepper and cook the mixture for about five minutes total.
- Add the beans and broth, then the cumin and bay leaf. Let it come to a boil and then simmer about a half hour.
- Add the lemon juice. (If desired, add salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of sherry. I did not think it needed any of that.).
- For crockpot use, follow the first step, then transfer all the ingredients into the crockpot and cook on low about 3 hours.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired.