Recipe by rpgaymer
Besides cereal, this is pretty much the only breakfast food I eat as I am not a morning person and these are quick to heat up every morning. Each burrito makes a tasty, balanced meal when eaten with a piece of fruit. My neighborhood Mexican grocery store sells the best freshly-made pico de gallo, so that is what I use. You can make your own, but don't use salsa as it will make the burrito filling too mushy. I also make my own chorizo for these (Miss Annie's Chorizo ).
Top Review by CoraIleneV
What a great make-ahead breakfast!! So delicious even after heating up in the microwave- and that's hard to find. If you want to be a tad healthier you might consider swapping the chorizo for vegetarian chorizo. I haven't tried it yet but I definitely will since I have a few vegetarian friends who I'm sure will love this!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb chorizo sausage, removed from casing
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 18 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning (or salt & pepper to taste)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 16 ounces pico de gallo, drained
- 2 cups chihuahua cheese or 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 20 (8 inch) flour tortillas (I use whole wheat)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and bell pepper; cook for about 8-10 minutes, crumbling the sausage every now and then. When sausage is cooked through, remove from pan and drain of fat.
- Wipe the grease from the pan, then melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the beaten eggs and Adobo Seasoning (or salt & pepper), and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until the eggs are scrambled and cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Add the drained black beans and pico de gallo to the pot. Stir to combine well.
- Now, prepare your burritos. Warm tortillas in microwave for 30 seconds until warm and flexible. Place 3/4 cup scrambled egg mixture into lower center of tortilla. Top with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of cheese. Roll up tortilla into a burrito. Repeat with each tortilla, until done.
- Wrap each burrito in plastic wrap, and store all of them in a large container or zip-lock bag in the freezer.
- When ready to eat, remove frozen burritos from wrapping and then wrap in a paper towel. Heat in microwave for about 2 1/2 minutes.