Top Review by chelley
Definitely will be making this again. Made a few minor changes after reading the other comments and it was a big hit here. Instead of all corn, I used half corn and half black beans (and used the leftover beans and corn from the cans to make a salsa for the next day). Added a tsp of chipotles minced to the cornmeal mixture and beat it in with the cream cheese and also added some cumin and cilantro. At the table we topped it with fire roasted salsa we got at Sprouts and some sour cream. It was delicious.
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn kernels, drained (or 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- In skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, beat together cream cheese, cornmeal and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Stir in corn, 1 cup of the cheese, onions, jalapeno pepper, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the egg mixture into greased 8-cup (2 L) casserole.
- Cover with three-quarters of the sausage.
- Pour remaining egg mixture over top.
- Sprinkle with remaining sausage and cheese.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until light golden and set.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.