Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
chunky chicken cooked slowly in tomatoes sauce with fiery chorizo. the hotter the butter. serve with buttery mash or pasta. as with any casserole, this tastes better the next day... I have made this in both the oven and slow cooker and both are just as good.
- 2 garlic
- 3 slices smoked bacon, finely sliced
- 500 g chorizo sausage, fresh
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 2 onions, big chunks
- 2 carrots, big chunks
- 250 g baby onions
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon italian mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Fry garlic with bacon and chicken on a high heat so that chicken is browned on both sides. No need to cook the meat completely.Place into slow cooker or oven proof casserole dish.
- Fry chorizo in same frying pan on high heat so the meat becomes slightly crispy. Place into slow cooker or oven proof casserole dish. Try to retain juices.
- In the original pan and juices, fry the carrot and onion on a high heat for a few minutes until starting to soften. Don't cook the vegetables completely.
- Add red wine OR chicken stock and boil, stirring vigoursly for a few minutes.
- Place into slow cooker or oven proof casserole dish with chicken/chorizo and the rest of ingredients and cook on low for 4-6 hours. this will depend on your slow cooker. If using the oven, use gas mark 2 for 4-6 hours.
- Take out and leave to stand for a couple of hours to allow the flavours and consistency to settle. re-heat and serve with mash. any leftover sauce can be scooped up with fresh buttered bread, especially when you've run out of mash.