Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from Every Day with Rachael Ray, which I modified to try to reduce the sodium. It's really quite tasty, and the egg is a nice touch - don't be afraid to try it!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb raw chorizo sausage (removed from casings and crumbled or chopped)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers (thinly sliced or chopped) or 2 jalapenos (thinly sliced or chopped)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves (thinly sliced or chopped)
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and pepper (optional, I did not use)
- 4 cups cooked black beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 eggs
- shredded queso fresco or other mild cheese
- diced tomato
- sliced scallion
- tortilla chips
- pickled jalapeno pepper
- chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or heavy pot and add the chorizo, cooking until it it crisps around the edges.
- Add the onion, chili peppers, garlic, and spices. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes to bloom the spices.
- Puree 2 cups of the beans (or one of the cans -rinsed and drained) with 1 cup of the chicken broth. I used my stick blender. Add to the pot with the remaining beans and broth and simmer over medium heat for a few minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, poach or fry the eggs (easy over).
- To serve, line the sides of the bowls with a few tortilla chips. Pour in the soup, top with the eggs and with the optional garnishes you desire.
This was pretty good chili. I poached the eggs but in the end just couldn't stomach egg on my chili. The other people in my family who will eat fried eggs were ok with that but I just couldn't do it. I used 1/2 the spices because DH is wimpy and the chorizo was really hot. I cut up a couple of tortillas for the bottom, topped with Mexican blend shredded cheese and a dollop of Fage.
This is a very nice & spicy soup! The only change I made was to serve the soup over rice. I added some mexican cheese and cilantro. DH wanted the eggs served on the side, but otherwise, I made a directed. Made a really nice lunch. Made for PRMR, June, 2013.